Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Dog Attack and Attempt at Vision Improvement

Working with dogs, I don't worry about being nipped at... I expect it... particularly when we have to do toenail trims, etc. These are often triggers for dogs to give a "warning" sign when they're in an unfamiliar place with unfamiliar people doing unfamiliar things. Never, however, do I expect a dog to go on an attack... particularly a five-month old puppy.

I arrived at work last night to a cute husky puppy, which I was pleased to see as I enjoy working to make a puppy's first bath a positive experience. That was until I walked in the door. One of my co-workers was already sitting on the floor, and I assumed that she was just getting to know the puppy... that was until I sat down on the floor and the puppy launched an attack at me. Whoa! Stopping the puppy, we continued to sit and work with it attempting to calm it enough to determine if there was a chance that we could bathe it... At another point, I laid a piece of treat down and slid it over to the puppy, which launched another attack. This wasn't just a warning nip, this was a launch and continue biting until it had skin. Incredibly unusual behavior for a puppy... a husky puppy at that. The "mom" of this dog was fairly blase about it... no big deal that her dog was attacking... no worries that she has small children and if the dog is being triggered at this young age, she will only continue to get worse and will one day potentially maul her children - or one of her children's playmates... I would have had it put down immediately; its behavior was beyond fear, it was aggression. We told the lady that there was no way it was getting a bath and that she really, really needed to get it in some training classes or something. We'll see if she does... hopefully, before it hits the news that her dog attacked someone. Very sad. Very odd. Obviously, some form of abuse - be it by the kids or the parents, is going on at home towards the dog.

Other than that little bit of surprise at the beginning of my shift, it was fairly uneventful. A few toenail trims, a few appointments, and some serious cleaning. Nothing blog-worthy, although I just did.

Something humorous that happened this morning... I was getting ready for work and was putting on my sandals, which require a small buckle. I hadn't put my glasses on yet as I still had makeup to do, so when I needed to see the buckle, I found myself blinking rapidly to dispatch the fuzziness of my vision. Like that is going to help... like I'm just a few blinks away from 20/20 vision. I shook my head at myself and put on my glasses.

1 comment:

  1. scary-you're braver than me. i hope that god isn't being mistreating at home-that's so sad.

    ReplyDelete